An MBA in Event Management in India is a specialized postgraduate program designed to prepare students for careers in the event management industry. Event management is an MBA Specialization involves planning, organizing, and executing various types of events, including corporate conferences, weddings, concerts, exhibitions, sports events, and more.
An MBA in Event Management typically offers a combination of business management courses and specialized event management subjects. The curriculum focuses on imparting skills related to event planning, logistics, marketing, budgeting, and execution.
MBA Event Management in India
Scope of MBA Event Management
Event management in India offers significant scope as the country has witnessed tremendous growth in the events and entertainment industry over the past few decades. Following are some key points to consider regarding the scope of event management in India:
1. Diverse Opportunities:
The scope of event management is diverse in India. It covers a wide range of events, including corporate events, weddings, concerts, exhibitions, sports events, conferences, and cultural festivals. This diversity means that event management professionals can find opportunities in various niches.
2. Growing Industry:
India’s event management industry has been growing steadily due to factors like an increase in disposable income, corporate expansion, and the desire for unique and memorable experiences. This growth is expected to continue in the coming years.
3. Corporate Sector:
Corporate events, such as product launches, conferences, and team-building activities, are a significant part of the industry. Businesses are willing to invest in well-organized events to promote their brands and products.
4. Wedding Industry:
The wedding industry in India is a substantial part of event management. Weddings in India are known for their grandeur and extravagance, and event planners play a vital role in making these events memorable.
5. Entertainment and Cultural Events:
India is rich in culture and traditions, and this translates into numerous entertainment and cultural events throughout the year. Event management professionals can be involved in organizing and managing these events.
6. Skill-Based Industry:
Event management requires a range of skills, including project management, budgeting, marketing, creativity, and communication. Therefore, individuals with a skill set suited to event management can thrive in this field.
7. Entrepreneurial Opportunities:
Many event management professionals eventually start their event planning businesses, offering services to clients. This entrepreneurial aspect provides room for growth and innovation.
8. Education and Training:
Various institutes and universities in India offer courses and degrees in event management. This has contributed to a more skilled and professional workforce in the industry.
9. Global Opportunities:
Event management professionals may have the opportunity to work on international events, conferences, and exhibitions, providing a global perspective to their careers.
10. Personal Growth:
Event management offers opportunities for personal and professional growth, as professionals gain experience in project management, vendor coordination, client communication, and problem-solving.
Modes to Study MBA in Event Management
There are several modes to Study MBA for an Aspiring Candidate. The Following are the Types of MBA in Event Management Options Available.
Features: Full-time MBA programs are intensive and immersive, hence providing a comprehensive curriculum. Students attend classes on campus, participate in group projects, and often have access to internships also. This mode is suitable for individuals looking for a traditional MBA experience basically without the constraints of a job.
Eligibility: 50% marks in graduation basically from Recognize University along with valid Entrance Exam.
Duration: 2 Years.
Fee Structure: Rs 2.0 Lacs – 18 Lacs.
Features: Part-time MBA programs are for working professionals. Classes are often scheduled during the evenings or on weekends, allowing students to continue working while pursuing their Masters degree. This mode is ideal for those who want to balance work, life, and education as a result.
Eligibility: Basically a Graduate along with Minimum 2-3 years work experience.
Duration: 2-3 Years.
Fee Structure: Rs 2.5 Lacs – 8 Lacs.
Executive MBA (EMBA)
Features: EMBA programs are tailored particularly for experienced professionals, usually with a minimum number of years of work experience (varies by program). Classes are usually on weekends or in intensive modules, allowing executives to continue their careers while enhancing their leadership and managerial skills. EMBA programs often emphasize real-world applications and case studies.
Eligibility: Graduate with Basically Minimum 2-3 years work experience.
Duration: 1-2 Years.
Fee Structure: Rs 3.5 Lacs – 10 Lacs.
Distance Learning MBA
Features: Distance learning MBA programs are basically off campus Studies. Hence provide course materials to students, who study independently. All Communication with instructors and peers is primarily through mail, email, or online forums. Additionally Examinations are conducted at designated centers. Therefore, this mode is suitable for individuals who require complete flexibility and cannot attend regular classes.
Eligibility: Basically a Graduate from any Discipline from an UGC Approved University.
Duration: 2-3 Years.
Fee Structure: Rs 1.0 Lacs – 3.0 Lacs
Dual MBA Programs
Features: Dual MBA programs allow students to earn two degrees simultaneously, often in collaboration with international universities. Having Credit transfer facility in 2nd year in choice of University Abroad. Also in different disciplines such as MBA/MS or MBA/MPH or PGDM/MBA. Hence these programs are more specialized and can provide a broader skill set along with Practical Exposure.
Eligibility: 50% marks in graduation basically from a Recognize University along with valid Entrance Exam.
Duration: 2 Years.
Fee Structure: Rs 10. Lacs – 30 Lacs.
Features: Online MBA programs are entirely taught over the internet. However, students can access lectures, assignments, and resources remotely, allowing for a flexible study schedule. This mode is suitable for individuals who require the flexibility to study from anywhere, often while working full-time or managing other commitments.
Eligibility: Graduate basically from Any Recognize University.
Duration: Minimum 2 years, Maximum 4 years from the date of registration.
Fee Structure: Rs 1.0 Lacs – 2.5 Lacs
Features: Accelerated MBA programs are also known as fast-track or one-year MBA programs. Moreover these programs are highly intensive, condensing the traditional two-year curriculum into a shorter timeframe. Hence. These programs are demanding and require full-time commitment, making them suitable for individuals who want to complete their MBA quickly. Also the students in accelerated MBA programs typically take a heavier course load each semester and may have limited breaks between terms.
Eligibility: Basically a Graduate along with Minimum 2-3 years work experience
Duration: 1 year.
Fee Structure: Rs 2.0 Lacs – 8 Lacs.
Eligibility for MBA Admission in Event Management
The following are the basic eligibility criteria for Securing admissions to the MBA Event Management course are:
- Bachelor’s Degree: Applicant require to have a bachelor’s degree in any discipline from a recognize university or college from Either India or Abroad.
- Minimum Percentage: Many institutions require a minimum of 50 percentage or grade point average (GPA)equivalent in the undergraduate degree. Therefore the specific percentage or GPA requirement varies among institutions along with other Cut off Parameters.
- CAT/MAT/XAT/CMAT/ATMA/CUET: Most MBA programs in India require candidates to Either take one of the national-level management entrance exams or State level Entrance, National levels such as CAT (Common Admission Test), MAT (Management Aptitude Test), XAT (Xavier Aptitude Test), or CMAT (Common Management Admission Test). State level such as PGCET, MHCET, IPCET. Hence, different institutions may accept different exams, Also most of all Colleges have different Cutoff for Admission in MBA Event Management.
- Minimum Percentile/Score: Basically the Institutions usually have a minimum percentile or score Cut off requirement in these entrance exams for candidates to be eligible for admission. Also the minimum percentile/score varies by institution and can be different for each category of students also (General, SC/ST/OBC, etc.).
Work Experience (Varies):
- Some MBA programs may require work experience: While many MBA programs accept fresh graduates, some institutes, especially for executive MBA programs, Therefore require a minimum number of years of work experience, often ranging from 1 to 5 years.
- Indian institutions follow the government’s reservation policy, which includes quotas for different Category Students. Such as Schedule-Castes (SC/ST), Other Backward-Classes (OBC), Economically Weaker Sections (EWS), and also other categories. Although Candidates belonging to these categories Usually have specific relaxations in eligibility criteria also. Minimum 5% Relaxation in Graduation percentage and varied Entrance Exam Cutoff are usually Given depending upon the Institute.
Personal Interview and Group Discussion:
- Most of all institutions conduct stringent personal interviews and/or group discussions as part of the selection process. Therefore, the performance in these sessions is often considered while making final admission decisions by the Institute Admission Panel.
Statement of Purpose (SOP) or Essays:
SOP or Essays: Many a Times Applicants are often require to write a Statement of Purpose (SOP) or essays. Hence Explaining their motivation for pursuing an MBA, career goals, and why they are interested in the specific MBA program they are applying to.
List of Top MBA in Event Management Colleges in India
India, is home to several prestigious MBA colleges that offer specialize programs in Event Management. However, the ranking of these colleges can vary on different surveys and criteria. so it’s always a good idea to research and consider multiple sources before making a decision. Following are some of the top MBA colleges in India known for their Event Management programs:
- Xavier Institute of Communications, Mumbai
- National Institute of Event Management – Mumbai, Pune and Ahmedabad
- Apeejay Institute of Mass Communication, Delhi
- Amity School of Communication, Noida
- NAEMD Institute – Noida, Ahmedabad, Jaipur and Mumbai
- National Institute of Fashion and Events – Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh
- Institute of Mass Communication Film & Television Studies – Kolkata, West Bengal
- Parul University vadodara, gujarat
- Manav Rachna International Institute of Research and Studies, Faridabad
- Asian Academy of Film And Television, Noida
- National Academy of Media and Events – Kolkata, Mumbai
- New Delhi Institute of Event Management, Delhi
- SAGE University, Indore
- Gems B School, Bangalore
- Tritya Institute of Event Management, Delhi
- University of Engineering & Management, Kolkata
- ISBM University, Raipur
Entrance Exam for MBA in Event Management
Accordingly India, several national and state-level MBA entrance exams are conducted for admission to MBA programs, including for MBA in Event Management. Therefore these exams are widely accepted by various business schools across the country (India). Following are some of the prominent Mandatory MBA entrance exams in India:
National Level MBA Entrance Exams:
- Common Admission Test (CAT):
- Conducted by: Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs).
- CAT is basically one of the most popular and competitive MBA entrance exams in India, accepted by numerous top-tier business schools.
- Management Aptitude Test (MAT):
- Conducted basically by: All India Management Association (AIMA).
- MAT is conducted four times a year and is also accepted by a wide range of management institutes across India.
- Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT):
- Conducted by: XLRI Xavier School of Management, Jamshedpur.
- XAT is also accepted by more than 150 B-schools in India and is known for its rigorous examination pattern.
- Common Management Admission Test (CMAT):
- Conducted basically by: National Testing Agency (NTA).
- CMAT is accepted specifically by AICTE-approved institutions and universities across India. Whereas, MBA institutes of national importance in India does not accept CMAT Scores.
- Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)
- Conducted basically by: Graduate Management Aptitude Council (GMAC).
- In India, more than 400+ business schools offering MBA/PGDM accept GMAT results. Subsequently, these include the Most prominent B Schools like the Indian School of Business, IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Bangalore, IIM Calcutta, and the Institute of Management Technology (IMT), among others.
- Common University Entrance Test (CUET)
- Conducted basically by: National Testing Agency (NTA).
- The CUET exam scores are accepted by around 197 CUET PG participating universities for admission to different postgraduate programs including MBA.
- Narsee Monjee Management Aptitude Test (NMAT)
- Conducted basically by: Graduate Management Aptitude Council (GMAC).
- NMAT exam results are accepted by some of the leading MBA universities for flagship and specialized programs because it is an independent and reputable exam.
State-Level MBA Entrance Exams:
- MAH CET (Maharashtra Common Entrance Test):
- Conducted basically by: State Common Entrance Test Cell, Maharashtra.
- MAH CET is the entrance exam for various management institutes in Maharashtra.
- TANCET (Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test):
- Conducted basically by: Anna University, Tamil Nadu.
- TANCET is accepted by several colleges in Tamil Nadu for their MBA programs.
- APICET (Andhra Pradesh Integrated Common Entrance Test):
- Conducted basically by: Sri Krishnadevaraya University, Anantapur, on behalf of Andhra Pradesh State Council of Higher Education (APSCHE).
- APICET is for admission into MBA programs in Andhra Pradesh.
- KMAT (Karnataka Management Aptitude Test):
- Conducted basically by: Karnataka Private Post Graduate Colleges Association (KPPGCA)
- KMAT is accepted by more than 169 B-schools across Karnataka.
- OJEE MBA (Odisha Joint Entrance Examination for MBA):
- Conducted basically by: Odisha State Government.
- OJEE MBA is the entrance exam for MBA programs in Odisha.
- UPSEE MBA (Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination for MBA):
- Conducted basically by: Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Technical University, Uttar Pradesh
- UPSEE MBA is for admission to MBA programs in colleges affiliated with AKTU, Lucknow.
Job Profiles in MBA Event Management
An MBA in Event Management in India opens up a wide range of job profiles across the event management and related industries. Event managers are responsible for planning, organizing, and executing various types of events, and they may work in diverse sectors, including corporate, social, entertainment, and cultural events. Following are some common job profiles for MBA graduates in Event Management in India:
Event planners or coordinators are responsible for organizing various aspects of events, including venue selection, budgeting, vendor management, and on-site coordination. They work closely with clients to understand their requirements and ensure the smooth execution of events.
Event managers oversee the entire event planning process. They coordinate with different departments and teams, manage budgets, negotiate contracts with vendors, and ensure that the event aligns with the client’s objectives and expectations.
Wedding planners specialize in organizing weddings and related events. They work closely with couples to plan and execute all aspects of the wedding, including venue selection, catering, décor, entertainment, and guest management.
4.Corporate Event Manager:
Corporate event managers plan and execute events for businesses and organizations. These events can include conferences, seminars, product launches, and team-building activities. They ensure that the events reflect the company’s brand image and objectives.
5.Experiential Marketing Manager:
Experiential marketing managers create immersive brand experiences through events and activations. They design campaigns that engage consumers on a personal level, leaving a lasting impression and building brand loyalty.
6.Event Marketing Manager:
Event marketing managers focus on promoting events to the target audience. They develop marketing strategies, create promotional materials, and utilize various channels such as social media, email marketing, and partnerships to attract attendees to events.
7.Event Sales Manager:
Event sales managers work for venues or event management companies. They are responsible for selling event spaces, services, and packages to clients. They build relationships with potential clients, negotiate contracts, and ensure client satisfaction.
Festival organizers plan and coordinate festivals, cultural events, music festivals, and other large-scale public events. They handle logistics, permits, artist bookings, security, and audience experience to create memorable and successful festivals.
Venue managers oversee the operations of event venues such as hotels, conference centers, and banquet halls. They handle bookings, manage staff, ensure facilities are well-maintained, and coordinate with event planners to meet client requirements.
10.Event Production Manager:
Event production managers focus on the technical and logistical aspects of events, including audiovisual setup, lighting, stage design, and overall production coordination. They work to ensure that the event runs smoothly from a technical standpoint.
11.Event Technology Specialist:
With the rise of technology in events, specialists in event technology focus on implementing and managing digital solutions such as event management software, mobile apps, virtual and hybrid event platforms, and other technical innovations to enhance the attendee experience.
12.Sports Event Manager:
Sports event managers organize sporting events, tournaments, and competitions. They manage logistics, security, sponsorships, and fan engagement.
13.Entertainment Event Manager:
Entertainment event managers work in the music, film, and entertainment industries. They plan and coordinate concerts, movie premieres, award shows, and entertainment festivals.
Graduates interested in teaching and training future event managers can pursue careers in academia or training institutions offering event management courses.
Salary Potential in MBA Event Managers in India (Average Package)
Average package for MBA professionals in event management in India can vary significantly based on factors such as experience, skills, the specific role, the size and reputation of the company, and the geographic location. However, a general overview of the salary potential for MBA event managers in India are as following:
Entry-Level Event Manager:
Entry-level event managers with an MBA degree can expect a Average Package ranging from ₹3 lakh to ₹6 lakh per annum, depending on the organization and the city. Salary can be higher in metropolitan cities.
Mid-Level Event Manager:
Mid-level event managers with a few years of experience can earn Average Package between ₹6 lakh to ₹12 lakh per annum. Those with specific expertise in managing large corporate events or high-profile weddings can earn Average package on the higher end of this range.
Senior-Level Event Manager:
Senior event managers or those in managerial positions with significant experience and expertise can earn Average Package ranging from ₹10 lakh to ₹20 lakh or more per annum. Senior managers often handle major accounts, oversee large teams, and manage complex events, leading to higher compensation.
Event Marketing Manager:
Professionals specializing in event marketing with an MBA can earn Average Package ranging from ₹5 lakh to ₹15 lakh per annum, depending on their level of experience and the scale of marketing campaigns they manage.
Wedding planners with an MBA and substantial experience can earn significant incomes, especially if they cater to high-end clients. Senior wedding planners can earn Average Package between ₹5 lakh to ₹20 lakh or more annually, depending on the scale and extravagance of the weddings they plan.
Experiential Marketing Manager:
Experiential marketing managers, who create immersive brand experiences through events, can earn Average package ranging from ₹6 lakh to ₹18 lakh or more per annum, based on their expertise and the impact of their campaigns.
Event Sales Manager:
Event sales managers can earn Average Package between ₹5 lakh to ₹15 lakh or more annually, with potential commission-based incentives. Sales professionals who meet or exceed sales targets can significantly enhance their earnings through commissions.
Event Production Manager:
Event production managers, who oversee the technical and logistical aspects of events, can earn Average Package between ₹6 lakh to ₹15 lakh or more per annum, based on their experience and the complexity of events they manage.
Additionally, professionals with exceptional skills, a strong network, and a successful track record in the industry often command higher Average package and better job opportunities. It’s also essential to consider the overall compensation package, including bonuses, benefits, and allowances, when evaluating job offers.
Major Recruiters of MBA in Event Management
In India, the events and entertainment industry is growing rapidly, creating a demand for skilled professionals with an MBA in Event Management. Several companies and sectors actively recruit individuals with expertise in event management for various roles. Following are some major recruiters for MBA graduates in Event Management in India:
1.Event Management Companies:
Event management companies such as Wizcraft, Percept, E-Factor, Seventy Seven Entertainment, Fountainhead MKTG, and DNA Entertainment Networks are among the leading recruiters in this field. These companies specialize in planning and executing a wide range of events, from corporate conferences to music festivals.
2.Hotels and Hospitality Industry:
Luxury hotels, resorts, and convention centers often employ event managers to handle weddings, conferences, and other events. Companies like Taj Hotels, Oberoi Hotels, Marriott, and Accor Hotels are also potential employers.
3.Marketing and Advertising Agencies:
Marketing and advertising agencies require event managers to plan and execute promotional events, product launches, and also experiential marketing campaigns. Agencies like Ogilvy & Mather, Leo Burnett, and DDB Mudra often recruit event management professionals.
Large corporations and multinational companies often have in-house event management teams or hire event managers for their marketing and corporate communications departments. This includes companies in various industries, such as IT, FMCG, and also financial services.
5.Entertainment and Media Companies:
Media and entertainment companies like Viacom18, Zee Entertainment, and Star India often organize events, award ceremonies, and promotions. They may hire event managers to plan and also execute these activities.
6.Wedding Planning Companies:
The wedding industry in India is substantial, and specialized wedding planning firms like Wedding Sutra, Ferns N Petals, and others often hire event managers with expertise in managing weddings and also related celebrations.
7.Sports and Sports Marketing Agencies:
Sports organizations, sports marketing agencies, and sports leagues require event managers to organize sports events, tournaments, and related activities. This includes organizations like the Indian Premier League (IPL) and also various other sports associations.
Nonprofits and NGOs often hold fundraising events, galas, and awareness campaigns. Event managers can find opportunities to work with these organizations to plan and also execute such events.
9.Experiential Marketing Agencies:
Companies specializing in experiential marketing, such as Geometry Encompass, Jack Morton, and Wavemaker, also hire event managers to create immersive brand experiences through events.
10.Event Technology Companies:
Companies that provide event technology solutions, including event management software, mobile apps, and virtual event platforms, may hire event managers with expertise in technology integration.
11.Event Production Companies:
Event production firms that specialize in the technical and logistical aspects of events may employ event managers to oversee production and execution.
Therefore, when pursuing a career in event management, networking and internships can also open doors to opportunities with event planning firms, marketing agencies, and corporate entities that regularly organize events. It’s important for MBA graduates to showcase their skills through internships, certifications, and practical experience to make themselves attractive to potential employers in the field.
Following are the major Subject of MBA Event Management: Event Concept & Designing, Event Advertising & Marketing, Event Costing, Budgeting, and Planning, Consumer Behavior, Handling Of Media & PR & brand management, Event Logistics, Management Information Systems, Corporate Legal Environment and Licenses, Presentations – Event Industry, Organisation of Events, PR & brand management, Event safety and Security, Event Finance and Taxation, Special Event.
Apart from Regular teachings Regular Event Workshops, Live Projects, Case Studies, Industry Facilitated Guest Lectures, Communication and Grooming Sessions, Regular Event Visits, Quizzes and Event Management Games.
None of the IIM`s offer MBA in Event Management Course as MBA Specialization,
Yes it has immense future. Its also pay off well from initial phase of career.
Its for ones who have a vivid imagination, strong managerial abilities, flexible to work for long hours and want to work in the entertainment and advertising industries.